Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Dead in a week or two


Samoa was a lovely family holiday although it didn’t pan out altogether as expected.
I headed over to Samoa with a bad flu so wasn’t feeling in the best shape to begin with.  Luckily Dr Steve Joe had given me some antibiotics to get started with.  These seemed to help and for the first few days I felt reasonably good. 

We enjoyed our lovely resort, the wonderful people, some swims and walks along the beach.  Ahhh bliss and how great to spend some time together!

A few days into the trip we were enjoying some snacks and talking rubbish, as you do, when all of a sudden I developed a massive headache.  I’m not the type to get headaches and I’ve never had a migraine in my life so I just assumed that’s what it was and that it was a result of my flu.  Luckily we had some voltaren, tramadol and paracetamol and within a few hours the pain eased off.

Unfortunately these agonizing headaches lasted for a further four days and nights with the occasional temperature spike and vomiting.  Not ideal while you are on holiday but amongst the pain I got to lie in the fresh air and enjoy the scenery.  Another highlight to mention that helped distracted me from the pain I was in was getting engaged to my fabulous boyfriend, Raymond!

A couple of days before we were due to fly home we tracked down a lovely Samoan doctor who did a thorough examination and gave me some pain relief in the form of intramuscular injections.  On the final day as we were leaving I visited him at hospital and got another jab.  This eased the pain.  I was determined to get out there and enjoy my final day after feeling like I had missed out on some of the fun activities.  Off we went kayaking and swimming and enjoyed a final meal together.  The doctor came to our resort later in the day to give me another injection to help with the flight home.  Unfortunately this did nothing to help and the pain returned with a vengeance.

By the time we reached NZ I was in excruciating pain.  With my head in my hands and my eyes tightly shut we had rather a speedy drive from Auckland airport to the Waikato Emergency Department.  Thank goodness for Raymond’s experience in car chases through his job in the police force!

Luckily the Emergency Department was quiet and it didn’t take long for me to be hooked up to some fluids and pain relief.  By this time I was in so much pain I was shaking.  Bloods were taken and a CT scan was arranged to find out what was going on with my head.  The results showed I had bleeding on my brain.  The increased pressure was what was causing the pain.

I regularly have blood tests done and the one before going on holiday had shown that my leukaemia had taken off at a hell of a rate.  I was in desperate need of attention. Thankfully my Haematologist was scheduled on at the hospital and I was transferred to the oncology ward.  I was told if we didn’t do anything now I would be dead within a week or two.  Let’s get started shall we then?!  We were both surprised by my blood test results.  My specialist was confident they would stay stable and therefore felt no rush to see me until I got back from holiday.  I was surprised by my results as a couple of weeks prior I was feeling fantastic.  My energy levels were superb and I was managing brisk walks around the lake every day.  I even sat down in my doctor’s office and declared that my blood results would have improved.  I was sure of it.  It was a kick in the guts to find out my results had gone in the opposite direction and at double the speed.  I was hoping this was just a one off and my next result would show a drop in counts again.

Though I will admit I was worried before going to Samoa when I had developed a flu and my bloods weren’t moving in the direction I wanted them to.  When you have leukaemia and you come down with a cold or flu it becomes very worrying.  A simple cold is no longer a simple cold.  It makes you doubt the strength of your immune system and it becomes a question of whether you are starting down the slippery slope towards death.







                                      














To visit previous blog entries, select posts from the archives on the right hand side of my blog page or click on “older posts” at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment