Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Off to the High Dependency Unit!!

Ange moved to the high dependency unit this morning. 

She has a bug in her blood, she got very dehydrated and her blood pressure plummeted. Just means they need her in a unit where they can keep a close eye on her. She has responded well to fluids and they are giving her some kick arse antibiotics.

I have told her off for continually trying to worry us.

She is pretty out of it at the moment - a side effect of a drug trying to stop her nausea.

Ange has had a terrible day with pain, vomiting and other stuff; she is such a superstar to still be battling as she is though, I couldn't be more proud.

The docs believe she has neutropenic colitis (an inflammation of the colon due to having no neutrophils)... more simply put, the result of having intensive chemotherapy. Her specialist is again worried, but not tripping over himself with concern and is satisfied that the other parts of her body are OK (e.g. vital organs etc.).

Plan is to try and get control of pain and let her bowels rest as best as they can while her blood counts return.

Funny story to finish, she has been hallucinating today a little due to the dehydration and drugs. She looked at her doctor to say something just before then stopped, when he pressed her for what she was going to say she replied "no, I was just going to tell you I went to Chartwell for lunch with your Registrar, but I don't think that happened". This is a follow on from asking me if her and I went to the pub last night; I told her we tried but she didn't have ID on her so we couldn't get in. She eventually figured out I was being economical with the truth.




(With the benefit of hindsight, the doctors did a fantastic job of hiding how concerned they really were. At this time, Ange was very very sick and in serious danger)



To visit previous blog entries, select posts from the archives on the right hand side of my blog page or click on “older posts” at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment