When you have a life threatening illness I think it’s
important to think of the things that matter most to keep you going and to remind you of what you're fighting for. Having goals helps you to keep looking
forward and to visualise and expect a future.
I’ve made a number of bright and happy vision
boards with positive and encouraging messages.
I have found this to be an enjoyable and helpful process. It certainly helps to brighten up a stark
hospital room as well!
In saying all this, I think it is also really important
to live in the present moment. When you’ve
been given a death sentence living in the now can be challenging. Worrying about the ‘what ifs’ or ‘how
longs’ can be terrifying. Focusing on
the times that I do feel good, the
days where I do have my freedom helps
me to stay calm and happy. Of course
living in the present moment is good for everyone’s sanity, sick or not!
I find breathing exercises, meditation and
mindful awareness about my surroundings, activities and movements help me to
stay in the present moment. It’s not
always easy to remember to do it but it’s a habit well worth trying to develop,
even if it’s as little as 5 minutes a day.



No comments:
Post a Comment